As announced in March, St. Philip the Deacon’s long-time Director of Music Ministry, Linda Armstrong, will be retiring at the end of the 2022 program year. The congregation is therefore currently seeking applications for our next Director of Music Ministry. A job description can be found here (PDF).
- A cover letter expressing a desire to apply for this position
- A CV or resume
- Two or three sample bulletins or programs from worship services or concerts you have conducted or led
- List of references
- Written responses to the following questions, which are designed to give you a better sense of this role, and to give us a better sense of how your gifts and abilities might be a good match for it. Feel free to include examples from your own experience as part of your responses, and please limit responses to 500 words or less for each question.
- Describe your philosophy of church music.
- In this position, you will be part of a Lutheran church, with a liturgical tradition of worship. Among other things, this means that our worship life has a shape and pattern—both in our weekly services, and throughout the seasons of the church year. It also means that our worship life is participatory—that the congregation is invited to be involved in our services, rather than to be simply mute or passive observers. How would your gifts support this approach to our worship life?
- In this position, you will be responsible for supervising both paid and volunteer musicians and vocalists. Describe how your background has prepared you to handle this responsibility.
- In this position, you will be part of a large staff, and will need to work collaboratively with our pastoral team, with our organist and other musicians, with our administrative team, and with staff members from other ministry areas. Discuss your approach to being part of a healthy and supportive team, and reference any experiences—either good or bad—that inform this approach.
Please submit your completed application to:
Music Ministry Search
Attn: Pastor Tim Westermeyer
St. Philip the Deacon Lutheran Church
17205 County Rd 6
Plymouth, MN 55447
OR – you may email your application materials to email@example.com.
Our hope is to identify a short list of finalists by May, at which point we plan to schedule and conduct in-person interviews.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you have any questions about the process or the role, please reach out to:
Tim Westermeyer, Senior Pastor