Registration for fall programming is open! There are so many ways to participate at St. Philip the Deacon:
Sign up for fall programs at
CHILDREN, YOUTH AND FAMILY
- Faith Creek is our Sunday School program is offered during the 9:30 and 10:45 a.m. worship services, for children 3 years old through 4th grade.
- Verse 5 is our program for 5th Graders, which meets twice a month on Wednesday evenings.
- Confirmation is for youth in Grades 6-8, and meets on Wednesday evenings.
- 9th Grade Conformation prepares our 9th Graders for the Rite on Confirmation (which takes place in January). They meet on Wednesday evenings
- High School Ministry is a program for youth in Grades 10-12, and meets on Wednesday evenings.
CHOIRS FOR ALL AGES
Share the joy of singing and sharing music in worship!
- Dynamic Deacons (K-2) – Tuesdays, 5-5:35 p.m., begins Sept. 13
- Chancel Choir (3-5) – Tuesdays, 5:35-6:10 p.m., begins Sept. 13
- SPD Singers (6-12) – Wednesdays, 5:15-5:55 p.m., begins Sept. 21
- Sanctuary Choir (Adults) – Wednesdays, 7:30-9 p.m., begins Sept. 7
- Blessing of the Animals—Sunday, Sept. 25 at 2 p.m.
- Family Fall Festival—Sunday, Oct. 30 at 3 p.m.
- Pigs and Pigskin BBQ—A family style BBQ lunch and watching a football game on the big screens. Sunday, Nov. 13 at 12 noon.
- Joy of Serving—Sunday, Dec. 4 at 3:30 p.m.
FAITH & LIFE LECTURE SERIES
Oct. 13—Faith & A Better Future: Renewal in a Time of Outrage. Speaker Arthur Brooks uses a blend of cutting-edge science, ancient wisdom, philosophy, music, and art, to share real-life strategies that people together, and improves happiness for all.
Nov. 3—Faith & Humor: The Bible’s Funniest Stories. Speaker Michael Chan explores the Bible’s most humorous texts, not only for fun, but also to demonstrate that humor is an important way in which God can speak to us.
- Sunday, Oct. 16 at 3 p.m.—Minnesota Symphonic Winds
- Friday, Nov. 4 at 7 p.m.—National Lutheran Choir’s All Saints Concert
- Sunday, Nov. 13 at 4 p.m.—Augsburg Centennial Singers
- Sunday, Nov. 20 at 4 p.m.—Metropolitan Symphony Concert
- Sunday, Dec. 11 at 2:30 p.m.—Apollo Men’s Chorus
- Holy Grounds—Led by Amanda Berger, Pastor Cheryl Mathison and Barb Paulson, Holy Grounds is devotional time for anyone looking to deepen their relationship with God while exploring a variety of spiritual practices. This practical class will include devotional prayer and study, devotional practices and faithful conversation. Mondays, Sept. 19, 26, Oct. 3, 10, 17, 24, 31, Nov. 7 and 14, at 9:45 a.m.
- The Walk—A class led by Pastor Tim Westermeyer that will focus on the five essential spiritual practices that are rooted in Jesus’ own walk with God and taught throughout the New Testament. Each of these practices is intended as part of our daily walk with Christ while also being an essential part of growing together in the church. Mondays, Sept. 19, 26, Oct. 3, 10 and 17, at 7 p.m.
- The Six Needs of Mourning—The class will follow this book by Alan Wolfelt dealing with the journey of grief. There are six “yield signs” you are likely to encounter on your journey through grief—what I call the “reconciliation needs of mourning.” Tuesdays, Sept. 20, 27, Oct. 4 and 11. There are two different times/sessions: 3:30–4:30 p.m., and 6:30–7:30 p.m.
- Women’s Retreat—”Deepening our Relationship with God and Others Through Our Stories.” Friday, Oct. 14–Saturday, Oct. 15. Contact: Pastor Valerie Strand Patterson
- Book Club—3rd Tuesdays, Sept. 20, Oct. 18, Nov. 15, Jan. 17, Feb. 21, March 21, April 18 and May 16, at 6:30 p.m. Learn more about Book Club.
CARE AND WELLNESS
- A Matter of Balance—An eight week class focused on fall awareness and prevention.
Thursday afternoons, Sept. 8, 15, 22, 29, Oct. 6, 13, 20 and 27, from 1-3 p.m. Contact: Susan Path, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thrive Cancer Support Group—1st and 3rd Tuesdays at 1 p.m. Support for people living with a cancer diagnosis. Contact: Susan Path, email@example.com.
- Healing Prayer Group—2nd and 4th Mondays, 11:30 a.m. Praying for the needs of our faith community. Contact: Pastor Valerie, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Caregivers Support Group—Wednesdays at 1 p.m. Support for people who are caring for a loved one at home. Contact: Susan Path, email@example.com.
- Sanctuary of Survivors—1st and 3rd Thursdays, 7 p.m. Support for people who have lost someone to suicide. Contact: Pastor Valerie, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tuesday A.A. Group—Tuesdays, 6:30 p.m. Support for recovering alcoholics. Contact: Mike Conly, email@example.com.
- West Suburban Grief Coalition—Thursdays, Sept. 1 to Nov. 17, at 4 p.m. at St. Philip the Deacon. Support for those who are grieving. Contact: Alva Benson, 763-545-1108.
- YogaFaith—Mondays, at 6:30 p.m. on Zoom; Thursdays, at 9 a.m. in person; and Saturdays, at 8 a.m. on Zoom. Contact: Amanda Berger, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yoga Faith Fall Retreat— Sept. 29-Oct. 2 in Spring Grove, Minn. Contact: Amanda Berger, email@example.com.
- Chair Yoga—Mondays and Thursdays, 11:30 a.m. Leader: Kathy Hagedorn, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Story Yoga—For preschool children with an adult partner. Four Monday mornings, Oct. 3, 10, 17 and 24 at 9:30 a.m.
- All is Calm Advent Yoga with Harp—Chair Yoga on Dec. 12 at 11:30 a.m., and Mat Yoga on Dec. 13 at 7 p.m.
CREATIVE EXPRESSIONS OF FAITH
- Bible Art Journaling—3rd Saturdays, Sept. 17, Oct. 15, Nov. 19, Jan. 21, Feb. 18, March 18 and April 15, from 9 a.m.–12 noon
- Bible Art Journaling Open Studio—4th Mondays, Sept. 26, Oct. 24, Nov. 28, Jan. 23, Feb. 26, March 27 and April 24, from 3–7 p.m.
- Prayer Shawl Ministry Gatherings—4th Thursdays, alternating at 1 p.m. or 7 p.m. Contact: Susan Path, email@example.com. This group of knitters and crocheters create beautiful shawls for those who need to feel God’s healing touch.
- Spirit Beads—Contact: Pastor Valerie Strand Patterson
- The Conversation—Monthly gatherings to learn about a variety of special topics, with time for fellowship with friends. 2nd Tuesdays, at 1 p.m. Contact: Cindy Carlson, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deacon Diners—Members meeting in homes for fellowship and a meal. Contact Rebecca Sundquist at email@example.com, or Marilyn Larson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Encounter Events—Field trips for adults to enjoy learning and fellowship. Among the events this fall are a trip to the Minnesota Arboretum on Oct. 5, a tour of the Thrivent Art Gallery in November (TBD), and a Holiday Tea at the St. Paul Hotel on Dec. 8. Contact: Cindy Carlson, email@example.com.
LEARNING AND STUDY
- Wednesday Morning Bible Study—Wednesdays at 9:30 a.m. Contact Joel Malmberg.
- Men’s Discussion Group—Tuesdays at 8 a.m. Contact Bruce Warner.
- Men’s Fellowship and Prayer—Wednesdays at 6:30 a.m. Contact Ed Wasz.
- Women’s circles meet during the 3rd week of each month, except during the summer. For more information on joining Women’s Circles, contact Cindy Carlson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Joy Circle—3rd Fridays at 12:30 p.m.
- Mary Martha Circle—3rd Tuesdays at 1 p.m.
- Elizabeth Circle—3rd Wednesdays at 9 a.m.
- Miriam Circle—3rd Wednesdays at 11 a.m.
- Naomi Circle—3rd Thursdays at 7 p.m.
- Ruth Circle—3rd Thursdays at 9:30 a.m.